Here at Beaumont Organic we're dedicated to using organic fabrics, and one of our most commonly used is organic cotton. Here are a few facts about organic cotton and non-organic cotton - you decide for yourself!
- Uses UNTREATED seeds (this means the seeds have not been treated with any chemical, such as fungicides and insecticides which aim to increase the chance of successful germination).
- Never used GMO (this stands genetically modified organism meaning all the seeds planted have not been modified in any way).
- Builds strong soil through CROP ROTATION (this is where farmers rotate the crops to get the most out of the nutrients from the soil).
- Retains water in the soil due to increased ORGANIC MATTER in the soil.
- Controls weeds through HAND HOEING.
- Uses BENEFICIAL INSECTS, biological and cultural practices to control pests.
- Relies on seasonal FREEZE for defoliation and stimulates it through WATER management.
- Treats seeds with FUNGICIDES and INSECTICIDES.
- Uses GMO seeds.
- Applies SYNTHETIC fertilisers.
- Requires INTENSIVE IRREGATION (which accounts for 70% of the world's fresh water use).
- Applies HERBICIDES to the soil to kill weeds.
- Uses INSECTICIDES (which accounts for 25% of world's consumption).
- Uses PESTICIDES.
- Uses AERIAL SPRAYING.
- Defoliates with toxic CHEMICALS.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh