Posted on May 28 2013
This weekend in the Beaumont Organic office, we've indulged in this gorgeous Chocolate Fudge Cake. Very rich and very naughty, here's the recipe so you can have a go yourself! We recommend it hot with a scoop of ice cream and a dash of syrup.
150ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
175g self-rising flour
25g cocoa powder
1tsp baking powder
150g soft light brown sugar
3 tbsp golden syrup
150 ml milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180℃. Grease the tins and line the bases with baking parchment. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Mix in the sugar.
2. Gently heat the golden syrup until runny and leave to cool. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, sunflower oil, and milk together using an electric whisk.
3. Whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture until well combined. Gently fold in the syrup and divide the batter between the cake tins.
4. Bake the cakes in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes or until springy to the touch, and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly in cool completely. Remove the parchment.
5. To make the icing, melt the butter over low heat. Stir in the cocoa powder and cook gently for 1-2 minutes, then leave to cool completely. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl.
6. Pour the melted butter and cocoa into the icing sugar and beat together to combine. If the mixture seems a little dry, add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time, until the icing is smooth and glossy. Leave to cool for up to 30 minutes. It will thicken as it cools.
7. When thick, use half the icing to fill the cake and the other half to top it.