Beaumont Organic specialises in luxury casual pieces, most of which are made from 100% Organic Cotton with GOTS certification. Soft hand feel and the best quality garments really showcase this ethical and responsible fabric. Here are some facts about it …
- Conventional Cotton uses seeds that are typically treated with Fungicides or Insecticides.
- A large quantity of conventional cotton is grown from GMO (genetically modified organism) seeds.
- Synthetic Fertilizers are used on conventional cotton.
- It requires intensive irrigation (artificial application of water).
- There is a loss of soil due to the predominantly Mono - Crop culture (repetitive use of the same crop and soil).
- Herbicides are applied to the soil to inhibit weed germanisation and are repeatedly used to kill weeds that do grow.
- Insecticides are used heavily, accounting for approximately 25% of world consumption.
- Pesticides are heavily used; the nine most common are highly toxic; five are probable carcinogens.
- Aerial spraying is frequently used, with a potential drift onto farm workers, neighbouring wildlife and communities.
- Defoliation uses toxic chemicals.
- Organic Cotton uses untreated seeds and never uses GMO seeds.
- It builds strong soil through crop rotation.
- The organic matter helps the soil retain the water more efficiently.
- Weeds are manually controlled through hand hoeing without using destructive chemicals.
- The balance between “pests” and their natural predators is maintained through healthy soil.
- Beneficial insects are used to control the “pests”.
- Use trap crops to attract “pests” and lure them away from the cotton .
- It relies mostly on the seasonal freeze for defoliation or water management.